The Military academy (MilAk) was founded by Maria Theresia in 1751. The order from Maria Theresia to the first commandant field marshal Leopold Josef Duke Daun was “Let him make proficient officers and upright men of it.” The MilAk is the oldest military academy in the world. Until 1918 it was the central training post for imperial officers in the castle of Wiener Neustadt. Not only aristocrats were allowed to go there, but also normal citizens up to a certain percentage.
After the time of occupation the military academy was situated in Enns and since 1958 it is in Wiener Neustadt again.